A property management customer called us to investigate a tenant complaint of mold on their family room ceiling. It is very unusual for mold to grow in a place like that without water intrusion.
What we discovered was the home had no forced air and the tenant rarely opened the windows. The steam from cooking caused condensation to build on the walls and ceiling leading to mold issues.
After we remediated the mold we advised the tenant to start running their cooking exhaust vent fan - this simple measure may have prevented the mold from growing in the first place.