Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Damage Tips from SERVPRO of Northern Colorado Springs/Tri-Lakes
In the aftermath of fire damage comes the next hurdle, which is the clean up and restoration of your structure and belongings. Smoke and soot can leave behind tremendous amounts of damage to your property. Since handling your affected items can be so delicate, the biggest tip that we at SERVPRO of Northern Colorado Springs/Tri-Lakes can give to you is to allow professionals to control the restoration. While your belongings are incredibly important to you, we have the training and experience to handle these items. Our goal is to always get your belongings and property back to "Like it never even happened."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (719) 434-4626
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.