If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (719) 434-4626

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Mold Damage Experts in Colorado Springs Discuss Microbes and Water Damage

5/11/2018 (Permalink)

Water leaks can go unnoticed for a long time until mold appears on the walls.

SERVPRO Can Help Mitigate Mold Damage in Your Home  

Any time water leaks into a building in Colorado Springs, many issues can arise. Water itself can saturate contents and building materials causing them to be removed and replaced. If moisture stays indoors for too long microbes can form.

Most fungi develop as a result of some type of problem with water. When mitigating mold damage in Colorado Springs, our SERVPRO technicians inspect the area and attempt to find the water source. In some cases, water leaks go unnoticed for a long time, and the leak is not discovered until a fungus is noticed.

During any water damage restoration project, technicians take extra caution to prevent mold growth in the future. The risk of a fungus developing and spreading inside a house increases when the structure gets affected by moisture. Fungi grow best in areas that have high moisture content and high relative humidity. The interior of your home is designed with many different organic materials that serve as a food source.

One of the main things a fungus needs to survive and spread is an organic food source. Materials inside the house that contain wood, drywall, paper, and natural fibers are susceptible to fungal growth. Indoor dirt can also contain organic materials making it possible for mold to form on the soils.

Most people keep the temperature inside their homes at around 70 degrees Fahrenheit. This normal room temperature is a perfect environment for microbe growth because they typically survive between temperatures of 68 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit. However, fungi can still develop in places like garages and attics that may have temperatures above or below normal room temperatures.

Typically, the rule is that mold likes areas that have excessive moisture. Usually, regions that receive the heaviest amounts of moisture are the areas that are affected the most by microbe contamination. However, some fungi can survive inside a building that has a relative humidity of only 65%. When mitigating water damage issues, our technicians attempt to bring relative humidity levels down to 60% or lower to inhibit microbe formation and growth.

A fungus is noticeable sometimes by the way it smells or looks. If you ever notice mold, it is wise to call in the professionals because fungi can cause health effects. Any time you see or smell a fungus inside your home, call SERVPRO of Northern Colorado Springs / Tri-Lakes at (719) 434-4626 any day of the week.  

Click here for more information on Colorado Springs.

Other News

View Recent Posts