If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (719) 434-4626

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Bleach is Not the Best Option to Fix Mold Damage in Colorado Springs

3/13/2017 (Permalink)

Call the professionals at SERVPRO to remove mold from your home correctly.

SERVPRO Technicians are Certified in Mold Remediation

In many households, bleach is the go-to option to clean up almost any spill or mess that has a germ-factor involved. There are certain situations in which bleach should not be used. Cleaning up mold on semi-porous surfaces in your home is one of these situations.

Spring cleaning is around the corner in Colorado Springs, a common activity that often results in the discovery of mold damage. This microbe not only makes things look dirty and filthy, but the same conditions that allow it to grow can often allow bacteria to flourish. Your first reaction to finding a closet with now-speckled walls may be to start using a bleach solution to get everything clean again, but this is not what you should do.

Using bleach to clean areas of mold found on drywall and other semi-porous materials can make matter worse. Household bleach contains much less chlorine than it does water. Chlorine is unable to penetrate past the outer surface of semi-porous materials such as drywall or wood. When surfaces show wetness, it is only the water that has penetrated, with the chlorine remaining on the surface. Adding moisture to the environment is counter-productive because doing so provides one of the mold's basic needs. While water is soaking into the material you saturated with the bleach, the chlorine is producing carcinogenic gasses. This production of gas has been known to last for several weeks.

Instead, upon finding mold damage, you should call SERVPRO and have an inspection to determine what allowed the mold to grow in your home in the first place. Mold cannot grow unless a water source is available. Both mold and cellulose, mold's primary food source, are always present in homes and other buildings, so it is the presence of moisture that can determine if mold can grow or not in any given location. Because it is impossible to eradicate mold completely, SERVPRO works to remove the water, instead.
Even in darkened areas, if water is absent, mold cannot grow. Our technicians are trained to replace the materials that have mold damage with new ones and ensure that water is no longer present. Mold growth on the inside of a closet quite often indicates that there is a water leak in the home above, or on the opposite side of, the area in which the mold is found.

In other situations, it is simply a case of someone in the family putting items away for storage when they were slightly damp or possibly even wet. Boots and other outdoor equipment are common items that are stored this way. Doing so can provide enough moisture to cause a problem with mold. Our Applied Microbial Remediation Technician (AMRT) can ensure that mold is less likely to return by determining the cause and informing you of all pertinent details. Communication is important to us and our ability to help you protect your home from future damage.

SERVPRO can help you whenever you need us. Call SERVPRO of Northern Colorado Springs / Tri-Lakes at (719) 434-4626 any time of the day or night, any day of the year. We can help you with any surprises you find while cleaning your home or garage.

Other News

View Recent Posts